The Story Of Tracy Park
Tracy Park is a hotel resort with two championship 18 hole golf courses set in an area of ‘Outstanding Natural Beauty’, close to the World Heritage City of Bath and the picturesque villages of the Cotswolds and South Gloucestershire. It stands on what was thought to be the remains of a Long Barrow suggesting the site was occupied before the Roman occupation of Britain. The Estate known as Tracy Park, derived its name from John de Tracye, who acquired it in 1246. His descendants, Lords of the Manor of Doynton, held the property until the end of the 16th century.
It remained in his family for three hundred years, finally being sold during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. The new owner was a bailiff to Sir William Wintor, Lord of Dyrham, a merchant who took commercial advantage of the re-building of the British Fleet that destroyed the Spanish Armada in 1586. Many fund raising meetings took place in what is now the Manor Room.
The present appearance of the Jacobean house was created in 1808. It sold for more than £12,000 to General Sir William Gabriel Davy in 1820, it was much altered and rebuilt by his son Rev. Charles Raikes Davy ,a freemason, who after inheriting the estate from his father in 1856, is responsible for the size and appearance of the house, and estate seen today, he dressed the Grade II listed mansion with Bath stone and adorned the estate with many Masonic symbols. Tracy Park was the inspiration for Birtwick Park in the book ‘Black Beauty’, written by Anna Sewell (who lived nearby) and published in 1877.
Today, Tracy Park is wholly devoted to pleasure with a style designed to create a feeling of relaxation and ease. The estate remained in the Davy family until 1926 when it was sold to the director of the Imperial Tobacco Company Charles Clarke. The mansion ceased to be a private house in 1973, when it was auctioned and subsequently became a golf and country club and hotel and contains the Crown and Cromwell courses, each with 18 holes.
Parts of the Cromwell course are set on the battlefields of Battle of Lansdown, the bloodiest battle in the English Civil War, hence the name of the courses. It is said the troops of King Charles sheltered in the grounds of the original house after the battle before they retreated under the cover of darkness.